The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign places a high priority on the health, safety, and security of students, faculty, and staff during their time on campus and when traveling internationally for university-related activities. For this reason, International Safety and Security supports travelers on a 24/7 basis through numerous services.
Our mission is to support the health, safety, and security of university students, faculty, and staff through detailed traveler and program preparation prior to travel in addition to comprehensive incident response 24/7.
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is one of the early adopters of having a designated staff person who deals exclusively with the healthy, safety and security of its students, faculty, and staff abroad. The daily operations of our staff include:
- Responding to student, faculty, and staff incidents abroad on a 24/7 basis;
- Traveler insurance enrollment;
- Monitoring world events;
- Providing traveler and program advice and guidance;
- Pre-departure orientation and preparation for students, faculty, and staff;
- Evaluate international agreements together with Global Relations in Illinois International, and
- Reviewing and updating university policy and procedures related to international travel.
We work closely with the Office of Risk Management, the Office of University Counsel, the Dean of Students, Public Affairs, OBFS, the Provost, and the Chancellor. We also work closely with the various study abroad offices, colleges, schools, departments, and other units to monitor programs and assist students and travelers.
International Safety and Security is a unit of Illinois International. Illinois International refers to the Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies, its functions, and its reporting units. We are dedicated to supporting campus internationalization through administrative, academic, and programmatic services and initiatives. Learn more about Illinois International.
All international safety and security related press inquiries may be directed to Public Affairs at 217-333-5010.