Coverage and Benefits
University policy requires enrollment in university-approved international insurance for all students, program leaders, and some faculty and staff participating in university-related travel. International Safety and Security manages the insurance enrollment process. Consult the Policy on Health and Safety in Study Abroad for more information.
Insurance ID Card & Policy Brochure
A copy of the insurance ID card and policy brochure can be found in multiple locations:
- View and download a copy of the insurance ID card from our website.
- View and download a copy of the policy brochure from our website.
- After enrollment, travelers will receive an email from the insurance provider, Gallagher, with all insurance documents. Check your university email inbox for an email from the sender "email@example.com."
- Gallagher also has a website specifically for Illinois users. Visit the Gallagher website for the policy card and other documents.
- While written for students, all travelers can review benefits and assistance information in the International Insurance Student Guide (PDF). All travelers are encouraged to download the mobile guide (PDF) to their smartphone, tablet, or other device before travel.
- Personal travel before, or after, programs is not eligible for coverage by international insurance. Refer to the Leisure Travel Insurance section of Other Insurance Products for personal insurance options.
The university-approved international insurance is not comprehensive travel insurance. It is health insurance with security evacuation coverage and very limited travel coverage. Travelers requiring significant cancellation or interruption benefits should augment this policy with additional insurance. Refer to Other Insurance Products for more information.
A detailed decription of the university-approved international insurance benefits is on pages 6-11 of the Policy Brochure. Policy benefits are: