Identity & Inclusion
International Safety and Security recognizes that different aspects of your identity may impact your experience abroad. We encourage all travelers to reflect on the different aspects of their identity when preparing for travel abroad.
How you identify in the United States may not be how you choose to identify abroad and may not be how you are identified by your destination country. We encourage all travelers to research your destination country’s history, culture, laws, and demographics.
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange, the campus study abroad office, maintains a number of pages devoted to individual identities. We encourage you to visit their site for additional questions, tips, and resources from an education abroad perspective.
The sections below are International Safety and Security resources that may serve as a starting point to your research.
Disclaimer: International Safety and Security provides the following links for informational purposes only. However, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information contained in the linked websites and do not specifically endorse any organization, information, or products associated with those websites. We encourage travelers to consult multiple sources to make informed decisions.
- Counseling Center
- Asian American Cultural Center
- Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center
- La Casa Cultural Latina
- Native American House
- McKinley Health Center
- Student Health Insurance
- Division of Disability Resources & Educational Services (DRES)
- International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)
- Library Services for Users with Disabilities
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center
- Office for Inclusion & Intercultural Relations (OIIR)
- Office of Minority Student Affairs (OMSA)
- Veteran Student Support Services
- Women's Resources Center (WRC)
- African Studies, Center for
- East Asian and Pacific Studies, Center for
- European Union Center
- Global Studies, Center for
- Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Center for
- Lemann Institute for Brazilian Studies
- Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center
- South Asian & Middle Eastern Studies, Center for